The following are links to selected 'green' information technology (IT) projects and open source software & solutions posted on the COSI 'Green' Technology & Environmental Solutions web site:
'Green' IT Software & Projects
- Center for Environmental Informatics (CEI) Projects - CEI focuses the development of new and innovative approaches to the creation and dissemination of environmental information resources.
- Corporate Energy Consumption Tools - A global on-line community that provides free, easy-to-use software tools to help participants assess, track, compare energy performance, and share best practices.
- DC Pro Software Suite - Software tool available from DOE used to identify and evaluate energy efficiency opportunities in data centers.
- EcoInformatics.Com Projects - an open, voluntary collaboration of developers and researchers to produce software, systems, publications, and services beneficial to the ecological and environmental sciences.
- Electronic Products Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT)- The definitive global registry for greener electronics, covering the most products from the broadest range of manufacturers.
- EnergyPlus - A free 'public domain' energy analysis and thermal load simulation program available from the U.S. Department of Energy.
- GreenPrint Software - A software solutions to eliminate unnecessary cost and waste associated with enterprise and individual printing activities.
- Greenhouse Gas Equivalency Calculator - This calculator distributed by the EPA may be useful in communicating your greenhouse gas reduction strategy, reduction targets, or other initiatives aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Green WiFi Project - Committed to providing solar powered access to global information and educational resources for developing regions and K-12 school children striving for knowledge in a digitally divided world.
- IBM Smarter Planet - One of the world's first Smarter Planet interactive simulation sites designed to help business and civic leaders discover how to make their cities and industries smarter by solving real-world business, environmental, and logistical problems.
- NightWatchman - Software designed to patch and improve the performance of your PC, or network of PCs, during off hours - reducing downtime, improving computer responsiveness, increasing productivity and cutting costs.
- Open Source Ecology - A network of farmers, engineers, and supporters that has been imagining and creating the Global Village Construction Set (GVCS), an open source, low-cost, high performance technological platform that can be used to build a sustainable civilization with modern comforts.
- Personal/Household Emissions Calculator - Gives a rough “ballpark” estimate of your personal or family’s greenhouse gas emissions and provides information about the impact of taking various actions to reduce your emissions.
- World Community Grid - Their mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
* There are a growing number of 'Green Apps' for mobile devices, e.g. Android Apps, EPA Mobile, etc.
Other Free & Open Source Software
- Apache Software - Originally known for being an open-source web server solution, it has now grown into a large collaborative software community with a wide range of complementary projects and products.
- Drupal - A widely used open source content management system (CMS) for web sites.
- Linux - A widely used open source operating system for small and large scale computer systems originally created by Linus Torvalds
- Mozilla & Firefox - A wide range of open source software products developed by the growing Mozilla 'open' development community. Products include the FireFox web browser, Thunderbird email, etc.
- MySQL - An open source database management system (DBMS) that offers the full functionality of similar commercial products such as MS SQL, DB2, Oracle, etc.
- OpenDisc - A CD of open source software products being made available primarily to charitable, non-profit organizations, students, teachers, etc.
- Open Office - A comprehensive open source software suite of office applications (e.g. word processing, spreadsheet, etc.) that provide very similar capabilities as MS Office.
- OpenProject - A free and open source project management software solution that can serve as a replacement for MS Project.
- OpenSite Solutions - Providing a directory of high quality 'open source' alternative solutions to higher cost commercial products currently being marketed.
- SourceForge - The world's largest open source software development web site providing free software and services to meet almost any need.
- SugarCRM - A commercialized open source customer relationship management (CRM) software suite.
Please share with us any high quality 'green' software tools that others should know about – especially if they are free and open source software solutions.